LONDON: Prince Harry was granted permission on Friday to legally challenge a government decision that denied him police protection while in Britain.
Harry, Queen Elizabeth’s grandson, was given the full police protection usually given to royals before deciding to step back from royal duties and move to the US with his wife Meghan in 2020.
But the UK Home Office responsible for policing, immigration and security decided in February of that year that Harry would cease to enjoy personal police security while in Britain. Brittany, even if he had to cover the costs himself.
A UK High Court judge on Friday cleared part of Harry’s application for judicial review – a process in which a judge reviews the legality of a public body’s decision.
Lawyers for Price Harry – who previously said in court that a member of the royal household was involved in the decision – were not immediately available for comment.
There have been signs of tension between Harry and the Royal Family since at least 2019, when he and Meghan decided to start their own household, breaking from the joint operation they had with Prince William and his wife Kate.
Harry and Meghan have relied on a private security team since moving to California, where they live with their two young children.
Harry’s lawyers, however, said the private security arrangements did not give the prince the level of protection he needed while visiting Britain.
Harry’s mother Princess Diana died in a car crash in Paris as she tried to escape paparazzi photographers, and the prince, also known as the Duke of Sussex, has expressed concerns about “history repeating itself”, in an apparent reference to the 1997 tragedy.
Harry and Meghan have received critical coverage in parts of the British press in recent years, which he called “toxic”.
Friday’s clearance was granted on several different grounds, but not all of the ones the prince’s legal team had requested, a judgment posted on the court’s website showed.
Posted in Dawn, July 23, 2022