PGA Tour still mum on LIV Golf punishments

The field for the inaugural LIV Golf event – which will be held June 9-11 at the Centurion Club outside London – was revealed late Tuesday and included longtime PGA Tour players like Dustin Johnson, Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood.

The PGA Tour has previously denied requests from members who requested releases to compete at the Centurion, and while the US-based Tour has not disclosed what disciplinary action may be taken, it has remained firm in its position.

“As communicated to all of our members on May 10, PGA Tour members were not permitted to participate in the London event of the Saudi Golf League, under the PGA Tour Tournament Regulations” , the PGA Tour said in a statement Wednesday.

“Members who violate tournament rules are subject to disciplinary action.”

As players risk potential punishment for jumping into the Greg Norman-led LIV Golf series, the promise that every golfer will receive a share of lucrative purses while competing in 54-hole events without discounts has proven too compelling for some.

The first LIV Golf event – ​​where $25m (AU$35m) in prizes are up for grabs, including $4m (AU$5.6m) for the winner – runs alongside the PGA Tour Canadian Open where the winner will receive $1.57 million (A$2.18 million) out of a purse of $8.7 million (A$12.1 million).

LIV Golf general manager Norman said last month at a Centurion media event that the starter league would reimburse players fined and has legal injunctions ready to go if some are sanctioned or banned by the PGA Tour.

“If you choose to want, as an independent contractor, to come and play with us, we’re here for you,” former world No. 1 Norman said last month during a media event at the Centurion.

“I’m going to break it down into three very simple things: we will defend, we will reimburse and we will represent.”

© Golf Australia. All rights reserved.