Hello Nigeria, welcome to Naija News’ roundup of top newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today, Friday 29th July 2022
Details of the meeting of the National Security Council meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari have emerged.
Naija News reported earlier that the meeting took place at the council chamber of the presidential villa in Abuja on Thursday.
Briefing State House correspondents after the meeting, National Security Advisor Maj. Gen. Babagana Monguno (Ret.) said the federal government would implement new strategies to deal with worsening insecurity. in the country.
He said the recent terrorist attacks across the country have prompted citizens to seek mutual aid and are fueling fears among Nigerians.
Monguno revealed that the President is aware of the security challenges facing the country and is doing his best to address the issues.
The NSA said tackling the kind of insecurity the country faces can only be successful when confronted with a “whole of society” approach.
He, however, warned the media against broad publicity for terrorists and urged citizens to provide security, intelligence and military agencies with useful information.
The government led by President Muhammadu Buhari said on Thursday that the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) and the Daily Trust would be sanctioned for their documentaries on terrorism and banditry in Nigeria.
Information and Culture Minister Lai Mohammed, during a speech in Abuja, accused the BBC of showing the faces of the terrorists as if they were Nollywood stars.
According to the minister, news platforms would not get away with interviews with terrorists.
Mohammad further said that appropriate sanctions will be imposed on the platforms.
The Minister said, “Let me assure you that they will not get away with this naked glorification of terrorism and banditry in Nigeria,” Mohammad said.
A leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Austin Umahi, who is also the younger brother of Ebonyi State Governor Dave Umahi, has rejected a nomination by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Umahi said he felt the job was not for him or someone of his social status and urged anyone interested to contact the Governor of Ebonyi for the position.
He argued that the appointment should have gone to job seekers or retired civil servants.
Naija News reports that President Buhari has appointed Umahi as Secretary of Revenue Mobilization, Allocation and Tax Commission (RMAFC), but in a statement made available to Abakaliki journalists, the man politician revealed that he had rejected the nomination.
Umahi made his position known by reacting to congratulatory messages that reached him after the nomination was announced.
The Defense Headquarters revealed on Thursday that around 30 terrorists had been killed and their hideout destroyed in the Bwari district of Abuja by the troops.
The Director of Defense Media Operations, Major General Bernard Onyeuko made the point during the bi-weekly military operations press conference held Thursday in Abuja at the new conference room at the Defense Headquarters.
He said troops from the 7th Guards Battalion and 167th Special Forces Battalion, together with the air component of Operation WHIRL PUNCH, carried out the operation between July 24 and 26.
In addition to killing the terrorists, their enclaves and hideouts were also destroyed while several items were recovered.
The slain terrorists are among those responsible for the ambush attack on the Presidential Guard Brigade in the Bwari area of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Sunday, Naija News reports.
A Kano State High Court presided over by Judge Usman Naabba sentenced five-year-old student Hanifa Abubakar to death by hanging for kidnapping and murder, Noble Kids College owner Abdulmalik Muhammmad Tanko, 38, and Hashimu Isyaku, 38 years old.
The convicts were sentenced to 5 years each for conspiracy.
Last year, they conspired and kidnapped the late Hanifa Abubakar of the Sheik Dahiru Bauchi Islamic Foundation in Kano, and killed the innocent girl.
After killing the innocent girl, they then buried her in a shallow grave at the North West Preparatory School, located at Kwanar Yan Ghana, Nassarawa LGA, Kano.
The prosecution team led by Kano State Attorney General Musa Abdullahi Lawan, in its effort to prove its case, called eight witnesses and presented 14 exhibits.
Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai revealed his conversation with President Muhammadu Buhari about the terrorists’ audacious threat to abduct him.
El-Rufai said the president was concerned about the situation and assured him that he had given directives to security officers to act quickly to hit the terrorists before they could reach them first.
Naija News reports that a video went viral over the weekend showing terrorists threatening to kidnap Nigeria’s number one citizen and Governor El-Rufai.
The terrorists did not make it clear why they were directing the threat only against President Buhari and the incumbent governor of Kaduna. It was clear, however, that the attackers were responsible for the murder and abduction of dozens of people on an Abuja-Kaduna train in March 2022.
In a chat with Daily Trust, El-Rufai said the Nigerian leader was unaware of the viral video until he informed him himself.
El-Rufai said he and his family members were warned by the terrorists to be careful and know their limits.
Puzzled by the development of the situation, the governor said that for the past five years he had advocated for the bombing of terrorist camps wherever they are, saying it was the only solution to the problem.
The suspended Federation Accountant General, Ahmed Idris, has been released on bail by the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in Maitama.
The presiding judge, Judge Adeyemi Ajayi, granted AGF’s suspended bail on liberal terms in a ruling on Thursday, Naija News reports.
Judge Ajayi also adopted all the terms and conditions of the administrative bond granted to Idris by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Recall that Idris was arrested in Kano State after failing to respond to invitations from the commission to answer questions on the N80 billion fraud allegation.
He was however arrested by the EFCC on 14 charges alongside Godfrey Olusegun Akindele and Mohammed Kudu Usman, and Gezawa Commodity Market and Exchange Limited.
In the ruling, the judge added that as part of the defendants’ bail conditions, they must remain within the FCT and must seek consent before going out.
Judge Adeyemi also ordered the defendants to sign an affidavit promising to abide by all of their bail conditions and to remain in the Kuje Correctional Facility until they perfect the bail conditions. .
The Outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) have again demanded the immediate release of their detained leader, Nnamdi Kanu.
The group argued that Kanu’s safety cannot be guaranteed by government care following the various threats of attacks that have recently hit Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
Naija News reports that the head of IPOB has been detained by the Department of State Services (DSS) in Abuja since his repatriation from Kenya in 2021.
However, IPOB in a statement on Thursday through its spokesperson, Emma Powerful, said that with schools in Abuja and other surrounding states closed for fear of an imminent attack, nothing should arrive at Kanu under DSS guard.
To avoid such a scenario, the IPOB recommended Kanu’s immediate and unconditional release.
All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appointed former Edo state governor Oserheimen Osunbor as head of a 65-man campaign think tank.
Naija News reports that the managing director of Tinubu’s campaign organization, Adebayo Shittu, made the point during the think tank’s inauguration in Abuja on Wednesday.
The former communications minister said Osunbor would be assisted by two serving vice chancellors, retired military generals and others.
Shittu said the think tank will formulate Nigerians’ expectations of Tinubu’s presidency into a workable plan of action should the former Lagos State governor become the next president in 2023.
The former minister said the action plan would seek to restore realistic hope to Nigerians that guarantees progressive change and transformative governance.
He expressed hope that once the right policies are developed and implemented, the youth and all Nigerians will ensure and be assured of a peaceful, secure, collaborative, progressive and prosperous Nigeria.
The Premium Breadmakers Association of Nigeria (PBAN) has announced the suspension of its four-day warning strike.
Naija News recalls that bread makers started their nationwide warning strike on Thursday, July 21, 2022, due to rising prices of baking materials and other things in the country.
They also urged the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) to scale back the N154,000 penalty imposed on bakeries for late renewal of certificates.
In a conversation with The PUNCH on Tuesday, PBAN Chairman Emmanuel Onuorah said its members had decided to raise bread prices to cushion the impact of the difficult operating environment.
He said that despite the recent uptick, bakers are still operating at a deficit, adding that members have been forced to adopt several survival strategies to stay in business.